To promote student and parent awareness of federal higher education tax credits and benefits, the Internal Revenue Service provides the following resources at www.irs.gov.
- IRS Publication 4772: This flyer briefly describes the American Opportunity Tax Credit (AOTC).
- The IRS Interactive Tax Assistant: The IRS developed online questions to help taxpayers determine their eligibility for educational tax credits.
- Education-related tax benefits of special interest:
- The American Opportunity Tax Credit (AOTC)
- The Lifetime Learning Credit
- Above-the-line tuition deduction for qualified tuition and related expenses.