The Fulbright U.S. Student Program provides grants for English Teaching Assistant Programs or for an individually designed Study/Research Program supporting graduate study research (and some independent research). During their grants, Fulbrighters will meet, work, live with and learn from the people of the host country, sharing daily experiences.  Opportunities vary greatly with the country or region.


Internal: Early September
External: Early October
Here's the link to view this year's specific deadline dates.


  • Be a U.S. citizen at the time of application. Permanent residents are not eligible.
  • Hold a B.A. degree or equivalent before the beginning date of the grant. Applicants may not hold a doctoral degree at the time of application.
  • Be in good health. Grantees will be required to submit a satisfactory Medical Certificate of Health from a physician.
  • Applicants must have sufficient proficiency in the written and spoken language of the host country to communicate with the people and to carry out the proposed study.
  • Preference is usually given to applicants who have not resided or studied in the country to which they are applying for more than six months; however, Fulbright welcomes applications from students who have spent a junior year or semester in the country to which they are applying.
  • Preference is usually given to applicants who have undertaken their higher education primarily at educational institutions in the U.S.


  • The U.S. Student Application is available online at
  • Application may be made to one type of country program only (i.e., full grant or teaching assistantship). Applicants will be considered for all awards to the selected country that are appropriate to their academic level, to their objectives as outlined in their Statement of Grant Purpose, and for which they meet the eligibility requirements.
  • Check the Individual Country Summary and Regional Summary sections to be sure there are awards to the country in which you are interested. Applicants should outline study plans or projects in their major fields that can be completed in one country within one academic year.

Learn more about the Fulbright Fellowships at the above webpage, by visiting the Office of National Fellowships & Scholarships, or by contacting the faculty liaisons.