Castle on the Hill
Almost every Kenyon student has occasion to take a class in Ascension Hall, one of the stately stone "castles" that overlook the historic south campus. This masterpiece of Victorian Gothic architecture, which dates from 1859, is the home of five academic departments: classics, economics, modern languages and literatures, philosophy and religious studies. For many students, a favorite place to read or write is Nu Pi Kappa, a spacious top-floor study lounge furnished with cozy armchairs and long wooden tables. Just below Nu Pi Kappa is its equally distinguished counterpart, Philomathesian, a medium-sized lecture hall that hosts poetry readings and colloquia.